Sunday, August 1, 2010

Crepe Cake


This highly improvised recipe turned out so tasty that we ate it for days. It's exactly what the title suggests- a layer cake, but made with crepes and roasted vegetables. I made a nutmeg-infused bechamel cheese sauce for the top, which added some richness.

I'd seen recipes like this before for dessert crepes, and knowing my sweet tooth, I'll probably try that too. I'm thinking lemon curd and fresh raspberries...

Crepes (makes 7-8):
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
pinch of salt
Blend all ingredients in blender. Ladel and spread spoonfulls into a hot, greased pan. Flip once when solid. I used a double-recipe for the cake above.

Roasted veggie filling:
Chop veggies and toss with olive oil, salt, and dried herbs. We used a zucchini, half a bunch of asparagus, and half an eggplant. I think squash will be great in here in the winter. Roast at 400 for about 30 minutes, until soft. We also sauteed tomatos and fresh basil for another layer to add some tartness.

Bechamel sauce:
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 1/4 cups milk, warmed
salt and pepper
nutmeg (optional)
1/2 cup cheese (or more)

Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour, stirring constantly until the paste cooks. Add the milk, stirring. Bring it to a boil (it will thicken a lot!) Add salt and pepper, then cheese and nutmeg and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this looks really good.....I think I know what's just been added to the dinner list for this week. :)

    ReplyDelete