Thursday, May 21, 2009

Blackberry Mousse


Blackberry Mousse

I'm really into classy-looking desserts with un-classy ingredients. See Lime Jello Mold. The newest addition to this dubious club is a mousse made of Goya frozen fruit puree and Cool Whip.

It all started when I bought a bunch of frozen Goya fruit purees at the Hi-Lo Market in Jamaica Plain. There were so many amazing choices, but I settled on Blackberry and Tamarind. I haven't figured out what to make with the Tamarind yet, but improvisation will follow.

Not content to make smoothies, I created this blackberry mousse recipe. As I write this, my husband and I are anxiously waiting for it to set so we can dig in. I licked the beaters, the spatula, and almost ate it all in its semi-solid form. Self control, Erica; self control. But you will see what I mean and why I almost couldn't resist... Next for this wonderful recipe: a parfait with this and my mango mousse... or with my lime/sour cream jello...

1/2 package Goya blackberry pulp (1 cup)
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
1 package gelatin
1 package cool whip

mint/plain cool whip/blackberries for garnish (optional)

Thaw cool whip until soft. Bring pulp and lemon juice to a boil. Add gelatin and dissolve a few minutes. Lower heat and add sugar. Stir until dissolved. With beaters, whip in cool whip. Transfer to serving bowl or (classier) martini glasses. Let set for 1-2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment