Saturday, July 4, 2009

Cupcake Fail with a Silver Lining


I love cupcakes.

Why don't they love me back?

The picture above is my wedding cake cupcake tower. They were wonderful- lemon with lemon curd filling, chocolate with raspberry filling, and vanilla with chocolate ganache filling. And they were delicious. Thanks to sandcastlematt for the image! And yes, that's Batman and Wonder Woman on top.

However. The following is my Facebook status report upon trying this recipe

for Chocolate Whiskey and Beer Cupcakes from Smitten Kitchen:

"Erica Smiley's Irish cupcakes met with mixed results. Removal from pan proved difficult and there were many casualties. Decapitation frequent and gruesome. Lack of more formal piping bags led to collision of ganache and ziploc. Must work quickly to establish historical precedent for "Erica's Awesome Spatula Cupcakes." Am hoping preponderance of butter, Bailey's and cocoa will smooth things over. Results to follow."

Well, the results were gooey, rich, and delicous. I halved the frosting and doubled the whiskey in the ganache. But all I can say is: Use paper liners on these cupcakes, people. Paper liners.


Update: While my cupcake tin did not have a silver lining, this story in fact does. My culinary/coronary daredevil of a husband, who fears nothing high in fat or cholesterol, has taken the cupcake wreckage, placed it in a tupperware, and vowed to make it into bread pudding. Ladies, that's what we call a keeper.


No comments:

Post a Comment